Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Happy New Year!

Pipig, Ming and I hope your holidays were merry and bright (or at least that you found a nice spot by a tree somewhere).


Why is it that the year-end holidays, which retailers begin to advertise before Halloween, seem to fly by?  I feel as though I just put up the Christmas tree, yet today I face the task of taking it down. Yes, I could leave it up another week or so but, for me, taking down the tree symbolizes the end of the old year and the beginning of the new year and I'm not prepared to drag things out.  One year when my brother and I were kids, after our father died, my mother kept the Christmas tree up until Valentine's Day.  That depressed the hell out of me even as a child (not to speak of the fire hazard it posed).  Out with the old and in with the new!  It's time to say goodbye to both the good and the bad of last year.

Wherever you are, I hope you're enjoying the start of the new year!  And, for all of us, I wish for health, new opportunities, and productive gardens.  Oh, and a deal on the fiscal cliff would be nice.

No comments: