Friday, May 31, 2013

A side benefit of taking pictures


We had hazy skies this morning so I took advantage of the partial gloom to take pictures of the garden.  My goal was to document what's new in bloom.  During the course of snapping photos, I discovered that my malicious raccoon neighbors had paid yet another visit.

An Adenophora potaninii (Bush Ladybells), moved a few feet yesterday to give it more sun in the hope it might yet bloom, had been yanked out

Dichondra 'Emerald Falls', added earlier this week as a foil for the nearby Coprosma 'Plum Hussy', had also been uprooted

Fortunately, this time, unlike the occasion I documented earlier, no plants were destroyed as a by-product of the raccoon's pursuit of grubs.  However, I realized that I need to reinstate my morning raccoon damage reconnaissance exercises.

On a more pleasant note, there are plenty of plants putting on a show now that weren't blooming yet at the time of the mid-May Bloom Day post.

Achillea 'Moonshine'

Agapanthus (no ID), now with open flowers

Calandrinia grandiflora, a transplant from my old garden, blooming at last

Catananche caerulea (Cupid's Dart), added recently to complement a grouping of lavender plants

Euphorbia 'Ascot Rainbow' seems to like this spot much better than the one on the other end of the garden I chose for it last year
Gaillardia x grandiflora 'Goblin'

Hebe 'Wiri Blush'

Inherited dormant daylily (no ID), one of 40 of the same type scattered about the property when we moved in

Unfortunate color clash between the red/orange daylily and an alstroemeria, both inherited with the garden

Hemerocallis 'Cordon Rouge'

Hemerocallis 'Frank Gaylord', happy in its new location after a move last fall

Hemerocallis 'For Pete's Sake', blooming in my dry garden

Leucanthemum x superbum 'Snow Lady'

Leucanthemum x superbum, tall ruffled variety (no record of variety)

Lupinus cruickshankii 'Sunrise'

Magnolia (no ID), inherited with the house and standing proud in the middle of the front lawn

Scaevola 'Suntastic Yellow', returning to bloom a 2nd year

Tanacetum parthenium 'Aureum'

Trachelospermum jasminoides (Star Jasmine) with Disticis laxiflora (?) aka Vanilla Trumpet Vine, climbing on an arbor over the fence between the dry garden and the vegetable garden

2 comments:

  1. I didn't realize you had different parts to your garden. I've tried to grow Cupid's Dart but it just hates our humidity. Love that covered arbor. :o) I'm trying for a similar effect in my garden this summer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember your arbor, Tammy - it's very creative. Mine (and actually 2 others) came with the property so I can't claim any credit for design and installation.

      Delete