Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Late Summer Bouquet

I recently discovered the Seasonal Bouquet Project courtesy of a post by Denise of A Growing Obsession.  The project involves weekly posts of bouquets created by 2 farmer/designers on opposite coasts using locally available materials.  They're very inventive constructions, using more than conventional flowers and foliage materials.  They've prompted me to think more creatively about what I use in a bouquet; however, this is not to say that my creation comes anywhere close to the inventiveness of those shown on their site.

I haven't even tried to put together a bouquet for a few weeks.  Our unusually cool summer turned wicked and it has become increasingly hot and humid.  I noticed that the few roses I have wither almost upon opening.  But pumped up by new floral images, I cut one rose in bud before it had a chance to wither and went looking for other materials to show it off.  Here's what I ended up with:




I used some of the same materials I've used in other bouquets but the mix is different and, this time, more dependent on foliage materials.  Here's what I included:

  • Rosa 'Medallion'
  • Coreopsis 'Redshift' (which has shifted back toward yellow as the days and nights have grown warmer)
  • Gaillardia 'Arizona Sun' and another variety that piggybacked its way into my garden with 'Arizona Sun'
  • Leucadendron salignum 'Chief'
  • Nandina domestica (no ID) berries and foliage
  • Pennisetum setaceum 'Rubrum' 
I've previously used Nandina flowers and, while I liked how they look in an arrangement, they shed continuously, dropping rice-like petals.  The Nandina berries hold up much better.

Here's another shot showing the rose fully opened:

Rose, Gaillardia, Coreopsis, Leucadendron, Nandina, Pennisetum

I probably won't post many bouquets as the summer heat wears on but, with those I do, I'm going to make more of an effort.  Now, if I can just keep the cats away from those tempting Pennisetum stems...

2 comments:

  1. Thank you SO much for posting this to The Seasonal Bouquet Project!! We're so glad you joined in the fun and found some inspiration for bringing flowers in from your garden. Love your rose!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jenny. I think your Seasonal Bouquet Project site is great and I love your and Erin's personal blogs as well!

      Delete