Wednesday, April 22, 2015

Wednesday Vignette: Coleus in Combination

I'm joining Anna of Flutter and Hum in presenting a Wednesday Vignette, which she has described as a  combination in which "individual components lift each other, and make each other sing."  In February, I replanted the pots outside our front door with a simple mix of coleus (Solenostemon scuttellariodes) and Fuchsia.  I find myself admiring the pots every time I enter and leave the house.

The pot on the right

The pot on the left includes a yellow Calibrachoa, carried over from an earlier combination

Individual elements, clockwise from upper left: Solenostemon scutellariodes 'Electric Lime', S. s. 'Lava Rose', Fuchsia 'Swingtime' and Calibrachoa 'Double Lemon'

Visit Anna at Flutter and Hum to see what she's found for us this week.


All material © 2012-2015 by Kris Peterson for Late to the Garden Party

12 comments:

  1. So lovely. After seeing all your vases no surprise you have such a fine eye for mingling colors and foliage to advantage. I try to have something pretty by the front door as a welcome to all - including the people who live here. It can be especially important during the hottest months when a lot out in the garden is laying low and surviving rather than thriving. I'm fine hand watering a few pots for color close to the house. I think of them as "cheater pots" but not in any negative way. : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I collect "warm up" water in a bucket each day and the pots by the front door are the usual beneficiaries - it's probably why they continue to look good even though much of my garden is parched.

      Delete
  2. What a lovely pair of planters! Of course I expected no less from you, with your eye for style! I'm so excited you joined in - I'm very happy to have you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You really do have a knack for color combinations: acid yellow/green, burgundy and fuchsia. Looks fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Coleus is very helpful in pulling combinations of plants together, especially that 'Lava Rose'.

      Delete
  4. Those are lovely combinations - the coleus and fuchsia work so well together. It is such a lovely contrast between all of the plants

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Matt! Coleus is a great integrator - I use it that way in vases too.

      Delete
  5. Coleus is up there as one of the best for glorious foliage colour :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely Kris...The coleus is fabulous with the flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeous! I am going to include more coleus in my shady areas this summer.

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy receiving your comments and suggestions! Google has turned on reCAPTCHA affecting some commentator IDs so, if you wish to identify yourself, please add your name to your comment.